Skip to main content

Arrived!

Friday the 13th of January 9:30 PM
I am laying in bed, in France! The flight went well - not much to report. My host mother and sister were waiting at the gate with they lady who has been organizing everything in Vienne. Everyone spoke pretty fast and I understood about 2/3 of what they were saying. We arrived at like 8:30 and I met my host dad and brother - we all did the cheek kiss, which is something that I never ever do in Austria. I also met their two pets, Loupy, a small dog and Vermicelle, a very fluffy cat. We ate dinner together and we had a three course meal - soup, homemade pizza and cheese/yoghurt/pudding. I didn't talk that much, because I didn't understand everything, but I think that observing and listening are probably more important the first week or so.

I have my own room - pretty small but I don't need much more, a desk, a big bed that is very comfortable, and a built in closet. My host mom said that she has a lot planned for tomorrow so I want to get a good sleep. Good night!

Saturday the 14th of January 8:56AM
I don't know when to leave my room. I haven't heard anyone get up yet,  but maybe everyone was  already downstairs before I woke up? I think I'll go down at 9 if I still hear no one. I also don't know what to wear to the table. I was thinking sweats and a tshirt, but that might be too informal. I think I'll wear jeans and a sweatshirt.  I know that I am probably overthinking all of this, but I really want to make a good first impression and I do care what thay think about me!

Saturday the 14th of January 7:17 PM
Quite a lot happened today! After we ate breakfast, my host mom and dad and I drove into Vienne to go the market to get some fresh produce. They showed me around town and I got to see my school - it is huge! It is 10th -12th grade and 2500 students go there! There are 13 10th grade classes with like 30 students each! We also went to a cathedral which was very pretty - lots of detail on the outside. The market was packed, and according to my host mom it is one of the largest markets in France! Its so weird to hear everyone speaking in French around me... I do understand quite a lot, but I don't feel that confident in my speech yet.

When we got back home, I fell asleep cuddling Vermicelle on my bed and slept for a solid hour. We had lunch together which was nice and then I cleaned my room and took everything out of my suitcase - there is not that much space in my room to store things, so I taped some pictures to the wall and put the photo album on a high shelf that I can see from my bed. Then my host mom invited me on a walk with Loupy and on our way out I met the neighbor girl who will ride the bus with me to school. She was very pleasant and she stayed over for a glass of tea and talked to my host mom and I.

8:16 PM
We just ate dinner together - sadly I wasn't hungry, but the food looked great! The French really do have three courses and eat together every night. I had a great conversation with my host mom about languages after dinner! Even though I have only been here for like one day, I think that the most used word in the French vocabulary is "truc" which means thing. I didn't know what it meant, but I hear that word everywhere!

I didn't post any pictures, because it was my first real day here and I don't want to come off as someone that is only here for the pics, and we just went into Vienne today, and I will be there every week day, so it wasn't that urgent anyways.


instagram: @amelia_navarre
facebook: Navarream

Comments

  1. Hi what a great adventure. Can't wait to go to France again. Great pastries and wine. Bon appetite et bon voyage.

    Viva la France

    Uncle Mark G

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Hi! My name is Amelia - I am from Southern California, but I have been living in Austria for 6 years, so I speak English and German fluently. I am going to school in Vienne, France for 6 months while living with a host family. I have been learning French at school for 4 years so I hope that my French is good enough, but I guess we'll find out once I start living there! I flew from Vienna, Austria to Lyon, France (which is about 30 min away fromVienne) onFriday the 13th of January.
As I mentioned before I will be living with a host family. They have 3 children, two sons (one of which doesn't live at home anymore) and a daughter. They also have a small dog named Loupy and a cat named Vermicelle, which is great because I love animals! I am in 10th grade and will be attending the "deuxième classe" in Vienne at a Lycée. 

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…

1 negative and 3 positives

Let me set the scene: a bored Amelia in DS, a sheet of unused paper, a pen, and 3 hours of nothing to do...

If you don't know, Ds is "devoir surveillé" or "surveilled work". My class has it every Monday, usually for 3 hours. It's in a different subject every week. So what happens it, we get questions to answer and then we answer them. Seems simple right? RIGHT. That is why I don't understand why we are locked in a room for 3 hours when most of us are done after the first hour or so. And we don't get to leave early, no, we have to stay in here for the rest of the lesson with nothing to do! We cannot talk, we cannot read, we cannot do homework. I mean, I would much rather do homework or study than be locked in a room for 3 hours! It doesn't make any sense!

Like today for example, our DS was in history and he gave us 2 things to do. Part 1: define some vocab; Part 2: Write a text about the World Wars and he gave us one line to go off of! Like, how …