Skip to main content

An important day

Sunday the 15th of January 10:43 AM
I am so tired.

Sunday the 15th of January 8:27 PM
Today was a very eventful day! I woke up kind of late and after I ate breakfast we (host mom, sister and brother) went to play field hockey with some of my host mom's friends. It is a strange sport if I do say so myself. The felid hockey sticks are very short, so you are constantly bending over to get the ball and there are many rules that you have to stick to. For example the ball has to be touching the ground at all times, and you can only use one side of the stick. Even though it was a strange experience I really enjoyed myself and I think bonded a little with my host brother and sister. We played two matches and then had something to eat - I haven't been very hungry for some reason, so I didn't eat much.

I came home with my host mom, because I was very tired and she was coming home anyway - then I went to sleep for like 3 hours and halfway through Vermicelle came in and slept with me. I then offered to take Loupy on a walk, and met my host sister outside so we walked her together around the neighborhood. We had a great talk about school and I understand the French school system a lot better now. They have 6 weeks of school and then 2 weeks off! I don't even get how that is possible, but I am fine with it.

When we got back we chatted on my bed for like an hour and I feel like we understand each other more and get along better. Then we ate, and the food was so good! We had fish, rice and green beans and boy am I happy that I was hungry! I then gave them the presents that I brought from Austria and the US (Kürbiskern pesto, Styrian mustard, apricot jam, Mannner, Zotter and Hershey's kisses). Then my host sister gave me a beautiful drawing! of a dandelion!

I think that today was a very important day for me. This morning I was telling myself that I was an idiot for thinking that I could stay here for 6 months, but now I am more excited than ever. Good night!



instagram: @amelia_navarre
facebook: Navarream

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Hi! My name is Amelia - I am from Southern California, but I have been living in Austria for 6 years, so I speak English and German fluently. I am going to school in Vienne, France for 6 months while living with a host family. I have been learning French at school for 4 years so I hope that my French is good enough, but I guess we'll find out once I start living there! I flew from Vienna, Austria to Lyon, France (which is about 30 min away fromVienne) onFriday the 13th of January.
As I mentioned before I will be living with a host family. They have 3 children, two sons (one of which doesn't live at home anymore) and a daughter. They also have a small dog named Loupy and a cat named Vermicelle, which is great because I love animals! I am in 10th grade and will be attending the "deuxième classe" in Vienne at a Lycée. 

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…

1 negative and 3 positives

Let me set the scene: a bored Amelia in DS, a sheet of unused paper, a pen, and 3 hours of nothing to do...

If you don't know, Ds is "devoir surveillé" or "surveilled work". My class has it every Monday, usually for 3 hours. It's in a different subject every week. So what happens it, we get questions to answer and then we answer them. Seems simple right? RIGHT. That is why I don't understand why we are locked in a room for 3 hours when most of us are done after the first hour or so. And we don't get to leave early, no, we have to stay in here for the rest of the lesson with nothing to do! We cannot talk, we cannot read, we cannot do homework. I mean, I would much rather do homework or study than be locked in a room for 3 hours! It doesn't make any sense!

Like today for example, our DS was in history and he gave us 2 things to do. Part 1: define some vocab; Part 2: Write a text about the World Wars and he gave us one line to go off of! Like, how …