Skip to main content

Third day of school

I am writing this on Friday night, because I didn't have much time this week

Wednesday the 18th of January, 2017
Wednesday started like a comedy. It was the first day that I was taking the bus to school and I woke up a little bit earlier than I needed to, to make sure that I wouldn't miss the bus. I got dressed and was ready to leave to go catch the bus. Our neighbor's daughter also goes to the same school as me, so we planned to meet at the bus stop to make sure that I got on the right bus, and just to make sure that everything was OK. The thing is, that she has a very similar looking younger sister who  goes to a different school in the middle of town - which I was not aware of.

So I get to the bus stop a minute before the bus arrives and I see who I thought to be the older sister. There are a few other people there, and she was talking to her friends so I decided not to walk over and interrupt her. A small bus arrives, maybe half the size of a regular school bus, and everybody who was what the bus stop gets on, including my neighbor. I get on as well and the bus starts to go into town, where it stops and everyone gets out. I knew that this was not the right stop, but seeing as everyone got out, so did I, and I started to follow my neighbor. I followed her for maybe 2 minutes before seeing the school that she was headed for - a collège (middle school).

I still had about 20 minutes before school started, but was very panicked and had no idea how to walk to school and even where I was. I called my host mom and told her what had happened and the name of the middle school and she came to pick me up and she drove me to school. I got to school literally as the bell rang and I rushed into the classroom to start school.

The first 2 periods I had French. Pretty boring.

After that, in the 15 minute break, I had to go to the secretary and ask for a "correspondence book" and ask for a new timetable, because I had been given the wrong one. On the way downstairs, I was next to the girl that I thought I befriended on Tuesday, but apparently she didn't feel the same way when her other friends were around and she decided to ignore me - nice. So I went to the secretary's office by myself and got everything sorted out.

Then I had math, and I like the math teacher. He is very nice and answered all of my questions - he seems to know what he is talking about, even if we are doing is fairly easy. Last period was Latin, and again, not that eventful - we did have to translate a text into French which was not fun, but I learned some new French words.

Every Wednesday, school gets out at 12 (after 4th period) and all 2500 students leave the building at the same time, and it looks very much like a bunch of goats being herded - there are three small doors that all of the students have to fit though and it is extremely entertaining to watch, but being in the crowd is quite the opposite.

I was also taking the bus home, and I knew that the 2 lines that go by my house are 2 and 4, so when I saw the line 4 arrive I immediately went over and got on, and only realized that it was going in the opposite direction when it started to leave the school. I wasn't even surprised - I mean how stupid can you be to take 2 wrong buses in one day?! Fortunately, the bus had to go over the same bridge as in the opposite direction and there was a lot of traffic, so I had time to form a plan. My brilliant plan was to get off at the next stop and walk to the train station where buses leave more often.

Thankfully, I didn't have to face the dangerous streets of Vienne alone, because while still stuck on the bridge, my neighbor started knocking on the window of the bus. I almost screamed. I asked the bus driver if he could open the door for me to leave - we weren't moving anyways - but he refused and said that he would let me out at the next stop. My neighbor was much faster and picked me up at the bus stop and we walked to the closest bus stop together and took the bus home.

A very eventful 4 hours if I do say so myself.

instagram: @amelia_navarre
facebook: Navarream


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog


I am leaving France tomorrow. I don't know exactly how I feel about this fact. So much about me has changed here and I feel like I will be leaving an important part of myself behind when I return home. It feels kind of weird to say "return home", because Vienne has become my home. Not just as in the place that I reside, but where I feel comfortable and among family. I have so many memories in this house, positive and negative, that leaving it is heart-breaking. It's not the same feeling as when I left Austria, because I knew that I would have something to return to and that I would be leaving for only 5 months, and now I know that I will never return to this house or go to the same lycée with the same people which is really sad right now.

- The next day -

I'm on the plane right now, almost about to take off, and so many things are going through my head right now. How has this flown by so quick? I remember saying goodbye to Pops and arriving in Lyon with Norah and…

Goats, crêpes and good-byes

Tuesday the 13th of June
Since the beginning of my semester here, it was planned that I would leave on the 13th of June - today. I had asked my organisation to allow me to leave later, because Norah had a theater performance on the 15th of June that she had been rehearsing the entire year for and I thought that it would be a shame if I were to miss it. The organisation, unfortunately, said no. Dead end. Turns out that no one would be here on Tuesday morning to take me to the airport, which sounds pretty bad, but allowed me to stay until next Monday - which means that I got to see Norah's performance! (It was amazing, but that's not what this is about).

I had an extremely busy day today. Asuka, Paul and I went to Asuka's house one last time before we left, and boy did we go out with a bang! I love where she lives - on a organic farm in basically the middle of nowhere. It's so surreal to be sitting in a field in France, surrounded by goats, an adorable sheep, chickens an…

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…