Skip to main content

Thursday the 19th and Friday the 20th of January

Thursday the 19th
Even though I am writing this on Friday, I cannot remember a lot of what happened yesterday, which either means that it is not worth telling, or should not be told. lol.

Friday the 20th
Finally! I have caught up! The day that I am writing this is actually the 20th. Sooo... today was pretty eventful. I woke up at like 8 and packed for later, because we drove to my host grandmas house. More on that later. My host mom and I took the bus into Vienne to check out a private school, because I am not feeling that great about the public school that I am attending. We got the email and phone number of the principal and I believe that my host mom made an appointment for next week to meet with her and see if I can change schools or try the school out for a day to see if I like it.

Then we took the bus back and I wrote the second day of school in my room. Everyone came home at 12 and we ate lunch together. We left at about 1 and we drove for about an 1 1/2 hour, when we arrived in Avignon. Avignon is a well known city, because popes lived there from 1309 and 1377. We visited the "Palais des Papes" where the popes lived which had a beautiful view over the town and the Rhône river with the Pont d'Avignon.

The Palais des Papes

The square below the Palais des Papes

View of the Rhône from the Palais des Papes

The Pont d'Avignon

Afterward, we walked around Avignon a little and got pain au chocolat and I felt very French. Then we left Avignon and made our way to their grandma's house which is close to Arles. On the way there we stopped in a small village called St. Rémy - it was very cute and exactly what you would expect from a provençal village. A lot of shops were selling lavender and these Calissons, which are little candies which consist of a fruit paste and royal icing on the top. They looked really good, but all of the shops were closed and they were pretty expensive.

We finally arrived at their grandmas house at 6 or so and I met her and all of her animals! She has a Jack Russell Terrier, a hamster, two fish and a canary. Her dog is very cute and Loupy gets along very well with her. She finished making dinner with my host mom and we ate together - it was a great meal! I am pretty tired, so I'm going to go to bed now! (I published this on Saturday, because I had to add the pics)

Pain au chocolat!

Loupy playing fetch near some Roman ruins

instagram: @amelia_navarre

facebook: Navarream


Popular posts from this blog


I am leaving France tomorrow. I don't know exactly how I feel about this fact. So much about me has changed here and I feel like I will be leaving an important part of myself behind when I return home. It feels kind of weird to say "return home", because Vienne has become my home. Not just as in the place that I reside, but where I feel comfortable and among family. I have so many memories in this house, positive and negative, that leaving it is heart-breaking. It's not the same feeling as when I left Austria, because I knew that I would have something to return to and that I would be leaving for only 5 months, and now I know that I will never return to this house or go to the same lycée with the same people which is really sad right now.

- The next day -

I'm on the plane right now, almost about to take off, and so many things are going through my head right now. How has this flown by so quick? I remember saying goodbye to Pops and arriving in Lyon with Norah and…

Goats, crêpes and good-byes

Tuesday the 13th of June
Since the beginning of my semester here, it was planned that I would leave on the 13th of June - today. I had asked my organisation to allow me to leave later, because Norah had a theater performance on the 15th of June that she had been rehearsing the entire year for and I thought that it would be a shame if I were to miss it. The organisation, unfortunately, said no. Dead end. Turns out that no one would be here on Tuesday morning to take me to the airport, which sounds pretty bad, but allowed me to stay until next Monday - which means that I got to see Norah's performance! (It was amazing, but that's not what this is about).

I had an extremely busy day today. Asuka, Paul and I went to Asuka's house one last time before we left, and boy did we go out with a bang! I love where she lives - on a organic farm in basically the middle of nowhere. It's so surreal to be sitting in a field in France, surrounded by goats, an adorable sheep, chickens an…

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…