Skip to main content

First day of school Take 2

The first day of school at a new school is always hard, especially if you are in a foreign country and shy. This is common knowledge. But a lot of people have never been the new kid at school - I was the new kid twice in the past 3 weeks. It was much harder than I anticipated. My expectations were way to high going into the public school - I thought that I would leave school with tons of new friends, because I would be the cool, new Californian that was a little weird. But I was not at all prepared for the realities of every other school system other than the Austrian one. See, in Austria we live in a bubble, which my parents have always said and I always agreed, but I never really got it. Having gotten a glimpse of what a real public high school is like, has really helped me understand and has also frightened me.

When I got accepted to the private school I was ecstatic, but I was even more terrified that I would go through the same things as I did in the public school. So when I arrived at school on Friday, I was extremely scared, even though I knew that the class was small and that there were already 3 exchange students (one of which was American). I was scared that everyone would be mean and ignore me and that I would be too shy to talk to anyone, also considering that everyone was at least 1 year older than me. As a result of this, while I was sitting in the lobby waiting for the principal to take me to my class I was having heated conversations in my head - one side was hyping me up and the other was insulting me. Then a small act of kindness ended the conversations - a girl from my class came down to the principals office and offered to take me to class.

She probably didn't make much of it, but that automatically made my day a whole lot better. We went to class with the principal and in situations like these, I am usually extremely nervous, but I was only a little nervous this time. I was sweating like crazy though. When we entered the classroom I immediately identified the American guy. How? There was a Camelbak water bottle on his desk (I always have my Camelbak water bottle in my backpack). The principal introduced the exchange students - a Latvian girl, a Japanese girl and the American guy. I sat next to the girl that took me to class for the first 2 hours. Not much happened, but then lunch rolled around which is a huge deal in France. Eating lunch at the school cafeteria is super expensive, and I hadn't received my lunch card yet, so I got some lentils at the canteen.

I ate lunch with the girl that took me to class and her friends, which seemed to be most of the class. I asked a few questions and learned that a lot of the students are 17 and 18, that is 2-3 years older than me. It felt like I was breaking a rule somehow. I don't feel like I integrated the best that I could have, but it takes time so I won't put too much pressure on myself. After lunch we had French for like 30 minutes and then we watched a movie at the movie theater called "La juala de oro".

On the way to the movie theater I talked to the American and Latvian students a lot and they are super cool and nice. She seems to be super chill and laid back and he seems to be the complete opposite, but in the best way possible. If I'm being honest, I don't feel cool enough to be friends with them, but they were very welcoming and made my first day pretty amazing. I did feel like I was agreeing a little too much with everything that he was saying - no one wants to be friends with a replica of themselves.

instagram: @amelia_navarre

facebook: Navarream


Popular posts from this blog


I am leaving France tomorrow. I don't know exactly how I feel about this fact. So much about me has changed here and I feel like I will be leaving an important part of myself behind when I return home. It feels kind of weird to say "return home", because Vienne has become my home. Not just as in the place that I reside, but where I feel comfortable and among family. I have so many memories in this house, positive and negative, that leaving it is heart-breaking. It's not the same feeling as when I left Austria, because I knew that I would have something to return to and that I would be leaving for only 5 months, and now I know that I will never return to this house or go to the same lycée with the same people which is really sad right now.

- The next day -

I'm on the plane right now, almost about to take off, and so many things are going through my head right now. How has this flown by so quick? I remember saying goodbye to Pops and arriving in Lyon with Norah and…

Goats, crêpes and good-byes

Tuesday the 13th of June
Since the beginning of my semester here, it was planned that I would leave on the 13th of June - today. I had asked my organisation to allow me to leave later, because Norah had a theater performance on the 15th of June that she had been rehearsing the entire year for and I thought that it would be a shame if I were to miss it. The organisation, unfortunately, said no. Dead end. Turns out that no one would be here on Tuesday morning to take me to the airport, which sounds pretty bad, but allowed me to stay until next Monday - which means that I got to see Norah's performance! (It was amazing, but that's not what this is about).

I had an extremely busy day today. Asuka, Paul and I went to Asuka's house one last time before we left, and boy did we go out with a bang! I love where she lives - on a organic farm in basically the middle of nowhere. It's so surreal to be sitting in a field in France, surrounded by goats, an adorable sheep, chickens an…

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…