Skip to main content

First day of school Take 2

The first day of school at a new school is always hard, especially if you are in a foreign country and shy. This is common knowledge. But a lot of people have never been the new kid at school - I was the new kid twice in the past 3 weeks. It was much harder than I anticipated. My expectations were way to high going into the public school - I thought that I would leave school with tons of new friends, because I would be the cool, new Californian that was a little weird. But I was not at all prepared for the realities of every other school system other than the Austrian one. See, in Austria we live in a bubble, which my parents have always said and I always agreed, but I never really got it. Having gotten a glimpse of what a real public high school is like, has really helped me understand and has also frightened me.

When I got accepted to the private school I was ecstatic, but I was even more terrified that I would go through the same things as I did in the public school. So when I arrived at school on Friday, I was extremely scared, even though I knew that the class was small and that there were already 3 exchange students (one of which was American). I was scared that everyone would be mean and ignore me and that I would be too shy to talk to anyone, also considering that everyone was at least 1 year older than me. As a result of this, while I was sitting in the lobby waiting for the principal to take me to my class I was having heated conversations in my head - one side was hyping me up and the other was insulting me. Then a small act of kindness ended the conversations - a girl from my class came down to the principals office and offered to take me to class.

She probably didn't make much of it, but that automatically made my day a whole lot better. We went to class with the principal and in situations like these, I am usually extremely nervous, but I was only a little nervous this time. I was sweating like crazy though. When we entered the classroom I immediately identified the American guy. How? There was a Camelbak water bottle on his desk (I always have my Camelbak water bottle in my backpack). The principal introduced the exchange students - a Latvian girl, a Japanese girl and the American guy. I sat next to the girl that took me to class for the first 2 hours. Not much happened, but then lunch rolled around which is a huge deal in France. Eating lunch at the school cafeteria is super expensive, and I hadn't received my lunch card yet, so I got some lentils at the canteen.

I ate lunch with the girl that took me to class and her friends, which seemed to be most of the class. I asked a few questions and learned that a lot of the students are 17 and 18, that is 2-3 years older than me. It felt like I was breaking a rule somehow. I don't feel like I integrated the best that I could have, but it takes time so I won't put too much pressure on myself. After lunch we had French for like 30 minutes and then we watched a movie at the movie theater called "La juala de oro".

On the way to the movie theater I talked to the American and Latvian students a lot and they are super cool and nice. She seems to be super chill and laid back and he seems to be the complete opposite, but in the best way possible. If I'm being honest, I don't feel cool enough to be friends with them, but they were very welcoming and made my first day pretty amazing. I did feel like I was agreeing a little too much with everything that he was saying - no one wants to be friends with a replica of themselves.

instagram: @amelia_navarre

facebook: Navarream

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Hi! My name is Amelia - I am from Southern California, but I have been living in Austria for 6 years, so I speak English and German fluently. I am going to school in Vienne, France for 6 months while living with a host family. I have been learning French at school for 4 years so I hope that my French is good enough, but I guess we'll find out once I start living there! I flew from Vienna, Austria to Lyon, France (which is about 30 min away fromVienne) onFriday the 13th of January.
As I mentioned before I will be living with a host family. They have 3 children, two sons (one of which doesn't live at home anymore) and a daughter. They also have a small dog named Loupy and a cat named Vermicelle, which is great because I love animals! I am in 10th grade and will be attending the "deuxième classe" in Vienne at a Lycée. 

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…

1 negative and 3 positives

Let me set the scene: a bored Amelia in DS, a sheet of unused paper, a pen, and 3 hours of nothing to do...

If you don't know, Ds is "devoir surveillé" or "surveilled work". My class has it every Monday, usually for 3 hours. It's in a different subject every week. So what happens it, we get questions to answer and then we answer them. Seems simple right? RIGHT. That is why I don't understand why we are locked in a room for 3 hours when most of us are done after the first hour or so. And we don't get to leave early, no, we have to stay in here for the rest of the lesson with nothing to do! We cannot talk, we cannot read, we cannot do homework. I mean, I would much rather do homework or study than be locked in a room for 3 hours! It doesn't make any sense!

Like today for example, our DS was in history and he gave us 2 things to do. Part 1: define some vocab; Part 2: Write a text about the World Wars and he gave us one line to go off of! Like, how …