Skip to main content

Departing.

I am leaving France tomorrow. I don't know exactly how I feel about this fact. So much about me has changed here and I feel like I will be leaving an important part of myself behind when I return home. It feels kind of weird to say "return home", because Vienne has become my home. Not just as in the place that I reside, but where I feel comfortable and among family. I have so many memories in this house, positive and negative, that leaving it is heart-breaking. It's not the same feeling as when I left Austria, because I knew that I would have something to return to and that I would be leaving for only 5 months, and now I know that I will never return to this house or go to the same lycée with the same people which is really sad right now.

- The next day -

I'm on the plane right now, almost about to take off, and so many things are going through my head right now. How has this flown by so quick? I remember saying goodbye to Pops and arriving in Lyon with Norah and Aline waiting for me like it was yesterday! Saying goodbye (or see you soon, I hope) was extremely sad. I didn't think that I would cry but of course I did - I cry very easily. They are like my family now! As I'm writing this and thinking about all the amazing things we have done together makes me want to cry again. Ugh. You don't think about this part at all when you arrive. I'm pretty sad right now. I know that I'll be happy and relieved when I arrive in Austria and see Pops, but even though is wasn't always easy, I loved living in Vienne and everything about the them I spent there.

I do wish that I had gotten to talk to Rémi more though - we were both pretty shy around each other for the first 3-4 months and I feel that if I had stayed for a few more months that we would have become better host siblings. I would have definitely stayed longer, maybe even a full year. I did so many cool things and met so many cool people, but I feel like I missed out on a lot at school the first semester and that I would have definitely become closer to my host family. I don't know - I mean I'm extremely thrilled about how my semester turned out, but I think that I would have benefited from a year. Well, I can always do an exchange year in college!

Oh Vermicelle. My best buddy in Vienne. You were there for me when I arrived and when I left. I really might cry thinking about her. We loved each other so much and cuddled together in my bed when it was cold. She was always there for me, especially in the beginning when I wasn't sure what to expect. I hope that my host family gives you so much TLC for me. I will miss you so much.

Update: we took off and I started crying again. I had planned to listen to "Standing By" by Pentatonix when we took off, for months - since before I had even arrived in France. This is because it is such an inspiring, sad and powerful song that even past me know that I should listen to it when I left. I am so glad that I listened to it - made me feel like I was in a movie which made me extremely sad and happy at the same time. You should definitely go and listen to it here.

Update #2: I'm on the second airplane now - we are ahead of schedule and should be landing in the next 20 minutes! I am so happy to see Pops, that I'm literally smiling ear to ear. I also might cry - it has been a very emotional day. I have also been traveling by airplane all day, which I hate - I much prefer trains.

I finally arrived and Pops was waiting for me at the gate. Such a joyous reunion! We walked back to his apartment and then got Pho - the place was empty for the whole time that we were there, which didn't make any sense, because the food was amazing! I have never had Pho before, and this was so good! So much flavor. Anyway, I was super tired, so went to sleep after dinner.

--

I am so grateful for such an amazing experience in France that I will never forget. Having the perfect host family really helped me adjust to the new culture and environment. I am eternally grateful to them for letting me stay with them for 5 months - I know it wasn't always easy and it just amazes me how open you have to be to let a stranger into your house for a semester. I now have a second family that I will keep in touch with for the rest of my life. And hey, I'll always have somewhere to stay in France!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Hi! My name is Amelia - I am from Southern California, but I have been living in Austria for 6 years, so I speak English and German fluently. I am going to school in Vienne, France for 6 months while living with a host family. I have been learning French at school for 4 years so I hope that my French is good enough, but I guess we'll find out once I start living there! I flew from Vienna, Austria to Lyon, France (which is about 30 min away fromVienne) onFriday the 13th of January.
As I mentioned before I will be living with a host family. They have 3 children, two sons (one of which doesn't live at home anymore) and a daughter. They also have a small dog named Loupy and a cat named Vermicelle, which is great because I love animals! I am in 10th grade and will be attending the "deuxième classe" in Vienne at a Lycée. 

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…

1 negative and 3 positives

Let me set the scene: a bored Amelia in DS, a sheet of unused paper, a pen, and 3 hours of nothing to do...

If you don't know, Ds is "devoir surveillé" or "surveilled work". My class has it every Monday, usually for 3 hours. It's in a different subject every week. So what happens it, we get questions to answer and then we answer them. Seems simple right? RIGHT. That is why I don't understand why we are locked in a room for 3 hours when most of us are done after the first hour or so. And we don't get to leave early, no, we have to stay in here for the rest of the lesson with nothing to do! We cannot talk, we cannot read, we cannot do homework. I mean, I would much rather do homework or study than be locked in a room for 3 hours! It doesn't make any sense!

Like today for example, our DS was in history and he gave us 2 things to do. Part 1: define some vocab; Part 2: Write a text about the World Wars and he gave us one line to go off of! Like, how …